As they need it, it is safe to say that people depend on their electrical systems to be readily available in homes. It is more than problematic as the food supply in the refrigerator/freezer can spoil and anyone who needs to store medicines in cool temperatures can really run into problems without power, though getting along without power for short intervals is tolerable and an inconvenience. There are many elements to your home that are dependent on the power supply. It can be life and death serious if people rely on the medical equipment in their home and when the power fails in some instances. Making the situation direr, any type of burning or smoking smells that coincide from power outage can indicate a hazardous electrical fire. It can be difficult for homeowners to decide whether or not they need an emergency electrician to help them with a problem, unless it is obvious. Today, we at Peterkin Electric would like to take the opportunity to elaborate on why your home may need emergency electrician services. Unless the signs are painfully obvious, before calling for an emergency electrician, take these steps listed below.
Troubleshooting Electrical Power Outage Problems
1) Check outside at the neighborhood, especially the next-door neighbors, to know whether it is just your home experiencing power loss and see if they are having a power outage as well. Your utility provider is likely experiencing technical difficulties, in the event the neighbors and/or neighborhood has a power outage as well. You can call the city utility company to learn the details.
2) Should you find your home is the only one in the area having a power outage, go to your main circuit breaker and reset it. If resetting the main breaker does not restore your power, contact an expert.
When to Call an Emergency Electrician
Call for an emergency electrician immediately if any of these issues fit your circumstances.
Sparking / Smoking Outlets: There is a serious a problem and this is generally the start of an electrical fire should any outlets spark or smoke. If your outlet is sparking or smoking, consider the following:
– As long as there is no smoke or damage present, get to the main circuit breaker quickly, turn it off. Do not try to turn it off and quickly evacuate the home, in the event there be signs of damage or smoke emitting from the circuit breaker.
– Never touch the smoking outlet. An electrocution can occur should anyone make contact with the outlet, as it will also burn you with the excessive heat.
– Call the fire department 1st and wait for them before calling for an electrician.
– Contact an emergency electrical service, after the fire department cleared you.
HVAC Systems Stop Performing: Particularly for small children and the elderly, summer heat can be especially intense, though Orange County does not typically have brutal winters. Call emergency services in the event the HVAC system has no issues, but the power is still not effective
Call Electrician for After Hours Service: During convenient business hours, electrical problems do not always happen. Before the business hours resume, when you run into the problems and the normal hours are over and you need help, most companies have an emergency number they can be reached out for assistance.