Most of the time we don’t give the electrical system in our home a second thought, until something doesn’t work. That’s because most of the daily activities in our homes are made possible by electricity. It keeps our homes cool in the summer, warm in the winter and keeps life on track through appliances and tools. Not to mention all those electrical gadgets that keep us connected and in the know. The electrical panel in your home harnesses all the electricity and will need to be upgraded at some point. But when? Peterkin Electric offers some helpful insight below.
Questions about Home Electrical System Upgrades
1. Does my home need an electrical system update? The amount of power that comes into your home depends on the electrical panel, electric meter and circuit breakers. These also control home safety and how efficiently the electricity is distributed. Signs you may need an upgrade include: lights that dim when you turn appliances on, circuit breakers that trip frequently, an electrical panel that feels hot to the touch, a reset breaker won’t stay reset or power isn’t restored, your home is older that 25 years, your home requires more power or you have a GT/Sylvania, Federal Pacific, I-T-E Pushmatic or Zinsco panels that are faulty, dangerous and recalled.
2. Why does an older home need an electrical system update? Homes that are older aren’t as safe as newer ones. Think of the electrical needs in the 1970’s versus those needs of today. Clearly not the same. The electrical systems in older homes were designed to carry 30-60 amps for electrical needs. Newer homes just aren’t designed to power todays electrical demands and the strain can become potentially dangerous.
3. How long does a typical electrical system last? If an electrical panel has been well-maintained and hasn’t been recalled for any reason, it can last between 25-40 years. But if you notice any of the signs mentioned above, it may need to be replaced sooner. If electrical demands in your home increase through additions or more energy efficient appliances, you’ll need an upgrade.
4. What are the benefits of an electrical system upgrade? Other than more safety and more efficiency in electrical use, you can also count on an increased value of your home when you go to sell it.
5. Can I do upgrade the electrical system upgrade myself? For your safety, no. Not only are you putting yourself at risk, you are putting your family and home at risk too. You need to hire a professional electrician to upgrade your electrical system. The work you do will almost always not be up to code. This makes it dangerous and increases the risk of shock and fire. When you go to sell your home, your potential buyers won’t like it, and either will your insurance company. Anything that has to do with electricity should not be a DIY project.
Electrical Installations, Upgrades & More in Laguna Woods, Santa Ana, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Aliso Viejo, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Irvine, Lake Forest & Orange County, California
If you have any questions about the electrical system in your home, contact the professionals at Peterkin Electric. We have licensed and experienced electricians that are always on top of electrical changes. Give us a call today!