Nothing can ruin your day like opening up your electricity bill to discover that it’s much higher than you expected it to be. You will most like start wracking your brain trying to figure out how that happened. Why is it so high?
Why is My Electric Bill Unusually High? Causes of Electricity Consumption
1. Cost of Running Air Conditioner in Hot Weather. When it’s really hot or really cold, your HVAC system needs to work much harder to maintain the temperature you set the thermostat to and will impact your electricity bill. Let’s say it’s 100 degrees outside and you have the thermostat set to 70, that’s a 30-degree difference! Your AC will need to work really hard to keep a difference that high. A temperature of 78 degrees is recommended during the summer to bring that difference down. It may not seem like a big change, but it will make it easier on your system. The situation is reversed in the winter with your furnace. A thermostat setting of 68 degrees during the winter is recommended.
2. Outdated Electrical Appliances. Appliance that are more than 15 years old are not as efficient as newer ones. That means they will consume more energy to do the same job. If you’re not ready to replace your older appliances you can make sure that filters, coils and condensers are replaced so they will use less energy. It’s also important to make sure that seals on fridges and freezers are not leaky or damaged because they are more expensive to operate if they are. If you’re using a fridge or freezer in an area without any air conditioning, reconsider because you’re adding even more to your energy bills
3. Air Leaks. When doors and windows have leaks, your house loses temperature-controlled air to the outside. This will also cause your HVAC system to work harder and increase your energy bills.
4. Dirty AC filters. The air filter in your HVAC system needs to be changed on a regular basis. If you neglect the air filer it will become clogged with dust, dirt and other contaminants. This will restrict air flow, make the system less efficient and increase your electricity use.
5. Leaky Ductwork. If the air you’re paying to have heated or cooled is leaking into your attic through leaky or improperly installed attic ductwork you might have electrical bills that are 40% higher than they need to be.
6. Inefficient Attic Insulation. Insulation can last for decades under ideal conditions but will become less effective over time. If moisture, mold, pests, dust and dirt affect it, it becomes less efficient and can contribute to higher use of electricity.
Electrical Lighting Consultation, Fixture Installation Services & More in Laguna Woods, Santa Ana, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Aliso Viejo, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Irvine, Lake Forest & Orange County, California
We all want to save on electricity bills. Do you think your monthly electric bills are higher than they should be? You can schedule an energy audit for your home to figure out why. You will be informed of problem spots and given solutions for improving them or fixing them. If your electricity bills are higher due to electrical issues you can count on Peterkin Electric to get things back on track. Give us a call today!