Factors Causing Fire to Electrical Systems in Tustin, CA; Faulty Outlets, Wrong Wattage in Light Fixtures & More

Every year, many homeowners fall victim to electrical fires in their homes. Not only is the loss due to the fire devastating, but many people lose their lives every year to electrical fire as well. There are several instances that an electrical fire could have been completely avoided if homeowners knew where to look. Peterkin Electric is here to point out the most common causes of electrical fires to help you safeguard your home.

Faulty Outlets & Appliances

If you have any outdated or faulty electrical outlets, they pose a huge fire risk. Not only the outlets, but old appliances as well. If your appliances have any cords that are showing signs of fraying, this is a warning sign and they shouldn’t be used. When it comes to appliances, you should never remove the ground prong so they can be used in a two-prong outlet. They need that third prong so that they are used in outlets that can handle the amount of electricity it takes to power them. Without that third prong, you need to worry about overloading the outlet and causing a fire.

Light Fixture Electrical Fires

When a light fixture has a recommended light bulb wattage, you shouldn’t ignore that warning. It’s one of the leading causes of electrical fire. Don’t ever exceed the maximum wattage recommended by the light fixture. When you use lamps to illuminate your home, avoid laying a blanket or towel over the lamp shade. There is a chance it will get too hot and catch on fire.

Breaking Extension Cord Rules

Many homeowners use extension cords when they shouldn’t. Extension cords are not meant to be a permanent fixture in your home. They are always meant to be used on a temporary basis. If you don’t have the appropriate outlet for your appliances, you should call a professional to have one installed so you aren’t putting yourself at risk of fire.

Space Heaters Can Cause Fires

Space heaters are great for some extra heat when they are used right. Sometimes people put them too close to surfaces that could easily catch on fire like bedding, curtains and blankets. Using coil space heaters is always a risk because they could ignite at any given moment. If you feel the need to use a space heater, use one that is radiant heat as it is much safer.

Old Electrical Wiring

If you live in an older home, you should have the wiring in your home inspected for any potential problems. Over time, there could be erosion and worn connectors that could cause fire. Most older homes weren’t wired with the capability to handle all the electrical devices we use today, if your home is more than 20 years old, you should have the wiring inspected.

Electrical Services in Laguna Woods, Santa Ana, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Aliso Viejo, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Irvine, Lake Forest & Orange County, California

At Peterkin Electric, we offer electrical inspections and audits as well as the necessary electrical repairs and upgrades to make sure your electrical system is safe and up to code. December and January are the months with the most electrical fires since so many people are looking for ways to heat their home or overloading extension cords with holiday lights. Call us today to help you avoid an electrical fire and for your other electrical needs!

Call Now Button